Sunday, February 15, 2009

Kailey's Biopsy

Kailey had her biopsy of the upper GI this past Wednesday. We had to travel down to Lansing (a little over an hour south of us) and we got to stay in the Ronald McDonald house the night before. It was very nice. they had a toy room and community kitchen where you are assigned your own cupboard and volunteers often make dinner for the guests each night. Liam had a blast with Grandma and Grandpa and other children that were staying at the house. Kailey did too... until the next day.

The trip ended up being a little more stressful than we anticipated when Kailey came down with a fever that night. They had informed us that if she had a fever or green mucous they wouldn't be able to do the procedure so I didn't sleep much that night through my worries. We woke her at 4:30am to feed her some yogurt before she had to start fasting. She was pretty warm so I gave her some Tylenol and we prayed. Her fever broke with the medicine and Bobby gave her a priesthood blessing and her fever continued to subside until later that night and she had minimal nasal discharge so we were able to continue, thank goodness! I was able to be with her when they gave her the laughing gas. the anesthesiologist was very good to explain the phases she was going through and in less than a minute she was out. I was glad they did this before doing her IV because she always has such a hard time and they often have to poke her more than once to get them in because she struggles so much and because her veins are so small.

The procedure didn't take long. The doctor came and got us afterward and told us she was recovering well and still sleeping. He had a series of pictures for us including the esophagus, duodenum and stomach. I guess normally after the procedure they have you wait until lab results are back before they have you make any changes but the pictures he took showed visual damage of her intestine already so we started her gluten-free diet immediately. My poor baby! All this time we have been struggling and forcing her to eat this food that has been causing her damage. She was not the happiest little thing that day (you can tell from the video) but she recovered well and we are grateful we are on the road to fixing her little body and making her feel better!

Sporting the hospital gear
Despite not feeling well Kailey is still so sweet

Watching Dora while waiting for Anesthesia

6 comments:

Kristin said...

Oh, Debbie - what an ordeal. That is wonderful, though, that you have an official diagnosis, and you know now what to do. I'm glad you were able to proceed with the tests and hope that Kailey is feeling better very very soon.

The Oman Family said...

Poor Kailey!! That had to have been so much to deal with. That is great that you now know what you can do to help her. Hope she starts feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. I'm crying still sitting here & typing.

Melanie said...

Well, I'm glad it's all over with. It's super stressful, I know. But somehow the Lord gets you through. Hopefully her new diet will make her a happier camper!

Anonymous said...

I thought I had Celiac Disease for 3 years and I ate that diet for that long. My doctor thought it might be, but didn't rule out anything else. I just learned 14 months ago it was actually FRUIT all these years! I have absolutely no problems now!

Honey said...

I'm so happy you know now what's going on. What troopers! Good luck with everything!

(I love those little purple gowns they wear. KC had the same ones when she had her tonsillectomy - don't think we were supposed to bring them home. oops!)