Friday, April 1, 2011

One Big Happy Family



This is our family along with Don Clynick, my dad's close childhood friend and BYU roommate, who just so happens to be in our ward....small world.


Well here we all are! It was a great little weekend to be able to get together with all the family. I wish I had gotten more pictures but I couldn't track my camera down and it wouldn't have done me any good anyhow because the battery was dead, even though I had just charged it. It must have got bumped on. anyhow... It really was a lovely time (crabby/sick babies and all) to be all together for the first time in a LONG time. My sister made up a little "Christensen Family vacation" skit that we did that was so C-L-A-S-S-I-C! My brother played my Dad's part well and I think those watching got a kick out of it, but probably not as much as us siblings. Then my sister acted out "events" or things that portrayed each of us siblings in the family. We presented a quilt to my dad with each of the family pictures on it and Mom and dad at the top and my sister also shared a memory book we have been compiling. My Aunt Dianne was obliged to share some memories of my dad, many of which we have never heard, so it was fun!


Poor grandpa was quite an emotional thing. We took pictures all together and then as individual families. As I was perusing through the pictures I think he was crying with each one we took and through all the skits, etc. He is so very weak now. he can't get around much now and needs wheel chair. He can't even utter but a few words at a time, when just 3 weeks ago he was sharing stories from his mission, childhood and family history. I can't believe the progress and toll it has taken on his physical body. Today he had his pre-chemo appointment today and the doctor is recommending that he not do the chemo because of how weak he is now. He has three days to decide what he wants to do. I don't now how much time we have left with dad but we will take what we can get and hope we can show him as much love as possible. Next Tuesday he will be recognized at Town Hall in their township for the service he provided. We are keeping it a surprise and I'm anxious to see his reaction. I will hopefully remember my camera and post some pics soon.

No comments: