Kailey is our little sweet heart with a sassy side! She loves to dish out kisses and hugs. Even at 3 o' clock in the morning she requests kisses as I am laying half dead on her bed. She is very patient when working on puzzles and already completes larger ones that her big brother. She can also spell Hat, Ball, cat and a few other words and sound them out.
Kailey has also been half the reason I stay awake at night. A few days after I had Kailey we found out she had a genetic disorder called MCADD (for short). Many of you already know about this metabolic disorder from previous posts. All things relative we have been blessed to have not had too many hospital visits. The last two years she hasn't been growing though and seems to have huge food aversions among other symptoms that were so varied and inconsistent it was hard to put your finger on what was going on. Finally She went to an Endocrinoligist who did some blood test then referred us to a gastro doc. The diagnosis: Celiac disease. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is an autoimmune disorder in which your body attacks the gluten molecules traveling through the intestine. This means it also attacks the small intestine which destroys the villi whose job it is to absorb nutrients from the food. So the no growth among a number of other symptoms began to make sense. So Kailey will now have to follow a gluten-free diet the rest of her life. Initially we were sad to receive the news and a little overwhelmed with the changes to be made and the expense it is to buy alternative foods, but we are so happy that she may now finally enjoy eating and have a chance to catch up. She will be undergoing a relatively small surgery, an Endoscopy, in about three weeks so we would appreciate your prayers since it is always scary no matter how big or small the procedure. We will keep you updated!!
8 comments:
That is so hard! We are glad they have figured things out so that she can continue to grow. We will keep you guys in our prayers!
I am sorry to hear of all the struggles with her health, and so glad to hear that you now know how to move forwrard. We will keep you in our prayers & hope everything goes smoothly!
Let me know the date of the procedure and if I can help with the other kids! I'm so happy there are answers for you!
I'm so happy you guys have gotten some answers, what a bitter sweet experience. I will pray for you guys and hope the transition goes well. Ona positive note, there are so many options for gluten-free food these days!
We'll keep you in our prayers. Let me know if there is anything I can help you with. I'll be more than happy to help you gather info on Celiac Disease - I had a classmate who has the same disease and now is a dietitian.
Hey Debbie--it's Kera Washburn, from Wymount! I saw what you posted about Kailey! It must be good to have some answers. I tried the gluten-free diet with Julianna a year ago (to help with her autism) so I know that you can do it! It's not as hard as it seems. A GREAT cookbook is "The Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids" by Sheri Sanderson. I loved all the recipes and they're really easy. If you buy the flours in bulk, it won't be too expensive. And things like Rice Chex, Rice Crispies, are gluten free. If you have any questions, email me! kerabug@hotmail.com or comment on my blog: www.thefourredheads.blogspot.com. I'll be happy to help! Good luck with the surgery.
I will certainly be praying for your little Kailey. My sister's little girl (now 10) has the same thing. Once they found out, they could actually do something to improve her situation. Good luck. You (& she) will figure it out just fine! Love you.
Hi MacKenzie's! I found your blog on the Wymount site and thought I would check in. I was reading about Kailey having an endoscopy. We just went through that with Cora our seven year old. It's not fun, but hopefully you will get some good information from it. The worst part was watching her go under the anesthesia and when she came out of it. She was very combative and angry--not at all like herself. That lasted for about an hour. Then she was fine. I hope it goes well.
Chasten and Eric Rasmussen
Post a Comment