Dear Mr. Weatherman,
You lied.
We had the perfect little trip planned to Mackinaw City for the weekend. Our last little hoop-lah before school begins. You told me:
You lied.
We had the perfect little trip planned to Mackinaw City for the weekend. Our last little hoop-lah before school begins. You told me:
Friday: Mostly Sunny skies and 83 degrees, 10% chance of rain
Saturday: Partly Sunny and 82 degrees, 20% chance of rain
Pretty good odds (especially for Michigan). I WAS EXCITED! Perfect days for this little excursion to the beaches of lake Michigan and our first time camping as a family of 5. But instead it was overcast, teased with sprinkles all day. but the real fun began around 9:00pm When the Downpour commenced.
It Rained, and Rained and Rained!
I'll admit at first it was a fun little adventure running into the van first, then dashing to the tent next to wait out the storm. the kids thought it was fun too. But it didn't stop. The rained began seeping in and we began inching further and further to the middle. Every 3 seconds a drip hit my face and I had to spend the night holding my hand over Maddie's face so it wouldn't drip on her. It is a good thing Liam wore his winter jammies because there wasn't a blanket to cover up with. Kailey and daddy were the lucky ones to get the air mattress, but they were pretty soaked too. On a good note, the rained acted as white noise and once (these kids were wired, let me tell ya, it took a while to get them calmed down) the kids fell asleep they slept pretty well. I on the other hand spent most of the night up and concerned with the lightning dancing around us. at almost 4am we thought we might be calling it quits, but since the kids were sleeping so well we waited it out. Finally the rain subsided as some point when I slipped into unconsciousness between 4 and 6:30am, then Maddie woke up. Well, we were a bit soggy and since 80% of what we brought was also we decided our trip would be ending a little earlier than regularly scheduled. Have you ever experienced folding up a soggy tent? Not cool. But alas at least we got to do a little of this:
10 comments:
The pictures sure LOOK like fun! :)
I guess the clouds broke for a little bit while at the beach, but it didn't last long. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh on mr. weatherman. :o) It is just that the water is SO beautiful with sunny skies I was really looking forward to that but at least we got to play still. It was the night that was a bit unbearable
AHHHH...I can just imagine your night! Those kinds of nights are so miserable. Thank goodness the sun comes up and surprisingly we are able to function okay, and even have a little fun! I'm pretty jealous. It was probably so beautiful when it wasn't raining!
I remember how it would rain in Michigan. What a trooper you are. I do not function well with little sleep. Glad it was stll fun!
Despite bad weather, looks like fun. Sometimes the worst of weather makes for the best of memories.
At least it wasn't all bad. The pictures look great. I love that last pic of Kailey, she looks so sweet, and those curls! Sorry the night was so rough!
Way to make the most of it! I would have high-tailed it home. As much as Ryan would like me to, I do not camp well. Probably because I don't sleep all night either. Cute, cute pictures of your family!
Yes we have folded a soggy tent and done it while it was pouring...with kids. I completely understand. Is that one tent or three placed together. Glad you had fun. We have camped all over upper \Mich. it is gorgeous. If you need another great place to go I have some places!
Michelle and Fam
Such a cute, creative post. I too have totally lost confidence in any type of weather forecast. I always plan things around them and end up inside on a beautiful day and outside in the rain. I feel your pain. Way to hang in there and still have fun.
That sounds like a truly exhausting night! I do like the pictures though. Did you take pictures of the soggy mess too? It will be a fun memory as time passes. :)
Post a Comment